The player’s objective in Baccarat is to correctly guess which of three possible propositions will win the round: Banker, Player, or Tie. Whichever hand is closest to nine is the winner.
Eight decks of cards are shuffled into the shoe. The shoe is re-shuffled prior to dealing each hand.
Cards are given point values as follows: Ace = 1, 2-9 = pip value, 10 and face cards = 0.
Play begins by betting either on the “player”, “banker”, or a “tie”.
After all bets are down, two cards each are dealt to the player and the banker.
Baccarat Game Rules:
The score of the hand is the right digit of the total of the cards. For example, if the two cards were 8 and 7, then the total would be 15 and the score would be 5. The scores will always range from 0 to 9 and it is impossible to bust.
If either the player or the banker has a total of 8 or 9 (a natural) then play stops. Otherwise, either the player or the banker may get dealt a third card according to the following:
- If the player’s total is 5 or less, then the player hits. Otherwise the player stands.
- If the player stands, then the dealer hits with a total of 5 or less.
If the player hits, then the dealer hits as well based on both the score of the dealer hand AND the score of the player’s third cards as follows:
- If the player’s third card is an 8, then the dealer hits with a score of 2 or less.
- If the player’s third card is a 9, 10, ACE or FACE, then the dealer hits with a score of 3 of less.
- If the player’s third card is a 2 or 3, then the dealer hits with a score of 4 or less.
- If the player’s third card is a 4 or 5, then the dealer hits with a score of 5 or less.
- If the player’s third card is a 6 or 7, then the dealer hits with a score of 6 or less.
The score of the player and dealer are compared; the winner is the one that is greater. Winning bets on the banker pay 19 to 20 (even money less a 5% commission), winning bets on the player pay 1 to 1, winning bet on a tie pay 8 to 1. In the event of a tie, banker and player bets will push.